Re: First Post! Annoying Debate at Work.

  • From: Patrick W.Gilmore
  • Date: Mon Mar 01 13:43:19 2004

On Mar 1, 2004, at 12:59 PM, Christopher Aldridge wrote:

Please do not take this the wrong way, but I thought it was useful
input.  Perhaps not to you, but maybe to those who think that getting
their MCSA will teach them all they need to know.

One who thinks these exam topics cover (as you say" "all they need to
know", should really investigate this certification.
So we are in agreement.

Some of the things you asked were extremely basic.
What "things" were these?
I guess I just consider things like "ethernet adaptors" and "ethernet converters" basic. Basic can be good. But it's still basic.

Also, I probably attributed some of the replies to your original post in my memory. Or maybe I just misremembered your post completely. I hope you can accept my apology and end the flame war.

In my defense, I did say that you should not take this personally.

So I would not take this as an attack on you personally - lots of
people answered took the time to answer your questions, asking not even

a favor in return as payment.
The people who responded helpfully to my post, will receive any help and
assistance in the future from me as a fellow nanog'er; without the
POINTLESS sarcasm and flaming.
Got it. 'Cause the post to which I am responding is very pointFULL.

And if you are implying that I will not be getting help and assistance from you (or at least not without sarcasm), well, somehow I'm just not too worried.

I would take it as a note to people with
certifications or going for certifications that a cert != clue.
I agree here 100%. However you have also made it very clear that no_cert
!= clue.
Really? Glad we cleared that up, 'cause lots of people were probably assuming that if you have no certification you were automatically clued.... :)

Unless, of course, you are implying I have no certifications. Which would be a bad assumption. I have gotten several certifications over the years, some of which I actually think are useful. I just do not have any of the ones you listed.

Of course, then you would also be impling I have no clue. Many people might agree with you, but since the first part (no_cert) failed, then the second part is irrelevant.

(Did any of those certs have
labs, or just multiple-guess tests?)
Google is your friend.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/requirements.asp
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/learning/le3/le2/le0/le9/ learning_certificati
on_type_home.html
Thanx, but not worth the effort. I'm never going to get a CCNA (definitely) or an MCSA (probably). Was just curious and didn't want to wade through multiple web pages. A couple people told me off-list and I was happy.

Thanx for the tip, though. I'll have to remember that "google" thing.... :)

--
TTFN,
patrick