Re: First Post! Annoying Debate at Work.

  • From: Stephen J. Wilcox
  • Date: Sun Feb 29 11:00:42 2004

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004, Christopher Aldridge wrote:

> Is a USB Ethernet Adapter a "converter"?
> Personally, I say "no".
> My coworkers seem to say "yes".

I suspect the truth is that it is and it isnt... the complication being what you
mean by terms like 'Ethernet' which comprises a number of standards across
various layers of the OSI model.. also, does 'convertor' have a technical
definition, I mean you plug ethernet in one side and USB in the other so there
is obviously some sort of converting going on :)

I'm not motivated enough to go thro all this email but just to expand on my
point about ethernet, when you say ethernet you are talking about the cable, the
rj45 plugs, the manchester encoding (it is manchester 4B5B isnt it?), the 802.x,
802.y (I forget), the llc, mac, framing, blah....... I suspect what the
convertor does is take the frame, and send it out the USB in whatever format it
needs to be data intact. Call this process what you like :)

Steve