Re: How relable does the Internet need to be? (Was: Re: ConvergedNetwork Threat)

  • From: Petri Helenius
  • Date: Fri Feb 27 15:00:08 2004

[email protected] wrote:

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 21:19:48 +0200, Petri Helenius said:

So all IP phones should be outside of buildings and equipped with GPS or Galileo receivers?

I can think of plenty of buildings where you'd want the GPS even inside if
feasible. Think "any mall or office buil;ding over 250K square feet.".

Sure. I would also like to my car to be VTOL capable.

I think the real question is that are the phone and network vendors willing to implement systems which give out your position only when you want or if the handset gives your position with every call and there is a filter in the network who gets to receive it. So far all positioning systems implement the worse option. But there will be people who willingly give out their position with inch precision if they are told that it will increase their security.

Pete