Re: How relable does the Internet need to be? (Was: Re: Converged Network Threat)

  • From: Sam Stickland
  • Date: Fri Feb 27 12:20:59 2004

[email protected] wrote:

> P.S. I think a solution lies in the general direction
> of converting the entire world to use 112 for emergency
> services and having the VoIP services set up an automated
> system that rings back whenever your phone connects using
> a different IP address and asks you where you are.

For what it's worth, I believe here in the UK dialing just 99 will also
connect you to the emergency services. The rational is that if you are
behind a switchboard you have to dial 9 to get an outside line, and in the
heat of the moment you might forget to dial four nines. That's definately an
advantage that 999 has, taht 911 and 112 don't?

Sam