Re: How relable does the Internet need to be? (Was: Re: Converged NetworkThreat)

  • From: Michael.Dillon
  • Date: Fri Feb 27 05:44:03 2004

>[1] Should VoIP include 911/999 service, and how does one resolve the
>various geographic location issues associated with this.

Anyone who claims to answer this one should consider the how
to handle the case of a British subscriber to a VoIP service
who travels to the USA, Canada, all over Europe and Australia.
What would happen if a native of one of those countries
picked up the VoIP device and dialled for emergency services.

In Canada and the USA they would dial 911
In the UK they would dial 999
In Europe they would dial 112 or possibly one of the various
legacy national numbers for emergency service.
And in Australia they would dial 000.

Do you route all these calls to Britain? Do you use
some sort of geographical locator database for IP
addresses to route the call? Do you route the call
based on the actual number dialed, i.e. all 000 calls
go to Australia?

Or do we pass legislation requiring the RIRs and
all ISPs to maintain a database with the current
physical location of every device with an IP address?

Personally I don't think the regulators have a clear
enough grasp of the technical issues to be prescribing
solutions for this issue.

--Michael Dillon

P.S. I think a solution lies in the general direction
of converting the entire world to use 112 for emergency
services and having the VoIP services set up an automated
system that rings back whenever your phone connects using
a different IP address and asks you where you are.