Re: Converged Networks Threat (Was: Level3 Outage)

  • From: vijay gill
  • Date: Thu Feb 26 12:56:04 2004

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 02:48:55PM +0000, [email protected] wrote:

> >> This is possible today. Build your own routers using
> >> the right microkernel, OSKIT and the Click Modular Router
> >> software and you can have this. When we restrict ourselves
> >> only to router packages from major vendors then we are
> >> doomed to using outdated technology at inflated prices.
>
> >Tell you what Michael, build me some of those, have it pass my labs
> >and I'll give you millions in business. Deal?
>
> The problem with your lab is that you have too many millions
> to give. In order to win those millions people would have to prove
> that their box is at least as good as C and J in the core of the
> largest Internet backbones in the world. That is an awfully big

Let me try this one more time. From the top.

You said:
begin quote
  software and you can have this. When we restrict ourselves
  only to router packages from major vendors then we are
  doomed to using outdated technology at inflated prices.
end quote

So now we have
> to give. In order to win those millions people would have to prove
> that their box is at least as good as C and J in the core of the

So the outdated technology at inflated prices is too high of a hurdle
to pass for the magic Click Modular Software router, the ones that are
allegedly NOT antiquated and are not using outdated technology?
But somehow still cannot function in a core?

> History shows that if you can build a mousetrap that is technically
> better than anything on the market, your best route for success is

Thought it went build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a
path to your door, etc etc etc.

> to sell it into niche markets where the customer appreciates the
> technical advances that you can provide and is willing to pay for
> those technical advances. I don't think that describes the larger
> Internet provider networks.

How would you know this?  Historically, the cutting edge technology
has always gone into the large cores first because they are the
ones pushing the bleeding edge in terms of capacity, power, and
routing.

/vijay