Re: Converged Networks Threat (Was: Level3 Outage)

  • From: Matthew Crocker
  • Date: Wed Feb 25 14:39:45 2004

Yesterday we witnessed a large scale failure that has yet to be
attributed to configuration, software, or hardware; however one need
look no further than the 168.0.0.0/6 thread, or the GBLX customer who
leaked several tens of thousands of their peers' routes to GBLX shortly

This should be rewritten 'Or GLBX who LET one of their customers leak several tens of thousands of the peers routes...'. I'm sorry, a network should be able to protect itself from its users and customers. BGP filters are not that hard to figure out and peer prefix limits should be part of every config. Don't trust the guy at the other end of the pipe to do the right thing.

-Matt