Re: T1 Customer CPE Replacement?

  • From: Curtis Maurand
  • Date: Tue Feb 24 13:38:34 2004

I had excellent luck with OpenRoute (formerly Proteon) GT90's.  They
handle dual ethernet or T1/E1.  They need an external CSU/DSU, but they
get the job done and they're very stable.  They will do NAT and most of
the other goodies that you can think about.  They also have gt900 firewall
and they have a model with a hardware accelerator to handle cryptographic
calculations.  I installed one of the latter into a customer about 4 years
ago and I've not had any trouble with it, except to upgrade the OS once to
fix some wierd packet length issues surrounding IPSEC tunnels.

http://www.openroute.com

Curtis

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Brian Bruns wrote:

> On Monday, February 23, 2004 3:37 PM [EST], Claydon, Tom
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > We're looking for a good replacement for fractional T1 customers with Cisco
> > 1600-  & 1700-series routers as their CPE. They are good routers, but the
> > ongoing support costs are an issue, and we need to replace them ASAP.
> >
> > Someone had mentioned several CPE vendors, such as Adtran and Netopia. Are
> > there any others, and does anyone have any pros/cons of what they're
> > familiar with?
> >

> I'm quite familiar with the Netopia R53xx series T1 routers.  Excellent little
> routers for deplyoing to customers.  Very reliable, and if you are familiar
> with the DSL routers, you'll be right at home.  They have built in
> PPTP/ATMP/IPSec VPN support (both client and server), basic routing features,
> filtering, NAT, one-to-one IP mapping, remote syslog logging, as well as
> everything you'd expect in a T1 router (fractional T1 support, HDLC, PPP,
> FrameRelay, etc).  Theres also a 56k dialup backup module which is handy.

Curtis Maurand
mailto:[email protected]
http://www.maurand.com