Re: [IP] VeriSign prepares to relaunch "Site Finder" -- calls

  • From: Stephen J. Wilcox
  • Date: Mon Feb 23 17:04:04 2004

> > I am curious what the operational impact would be to network operators
> > if, instead of Verisign using SiteFinder over all com and net, Verisign
> > or their technology partner for SiteFinder began coercing a large number
> > of independent ISPs and network operators to install their form of DNS
> > redirection at the ISP-level, until all or most of the end-users out
> > there were getting redirected.
>
> It would be no worse than NEW.NET or any other form of DNS pollution/piracy
> (like the alternate root whackos), as long as it was clearly labelled.  As

Sorry my threading is screwed, something to do with the headers so I missed half
the replies.

Anyway I just sent an email, I dont think this is the same as the new.net thing,
in that case you have an unstable situation of competing roots arising which as
it grows or collides the operator community is left to pick up the pieces and
complaints.

With a local redirection you get to choose that you want it, you dont impose it
on other parts of the Internet and given enough clue level your customers can
run their own DNS if they object.

So with that in mind this is no worse that http caching/smtp redirection or
other local forms of subversion..

Steve