RE: M$ CD patches

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Sat Feb 21 17:46:55 2004

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Michel Py wrote:
> I wonder how many will install worms and viruses from a CD that they got
> not from Microsoft but from phishing schemes that will inevitably pop up
> around it.....

As far as I know, Microsoft is currently mailing the CDs to only consumers
that request the patches.

In the future you may be able to obtain patches through other
distribution channels, e.g. your ISP or consumer electronics chain or
original equipment manufacturer.  Regardless of the distribution method,
geniune Microsoft patches are always cryptographically signed by
Microsoft.  Whether consumers can figure out how to check the signature
is a different question.

Perhaps more significant is Mail Fraud is a well tested law, which has
trained, sworn law enforcement active the United States Postal
Inspection Service.  Unlike ISP abuse departments, the USPIS has
badges, carries guns and the legal authority to arrest people.

If you receive a counterfeit CD in the mail, I expect both Microsoft
and the US Postal Inspection Service would be very interested.