Re: routing invalid IP addresses

  • From: Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr.
  • Date: Sat Feb 21 10:35:36 2004

Geo. wrote:

We had an attack here last night and the attack traffic was coming from an
IP address of x.x.255.x which isn't a valid IP address yet the traffic was
being routed over the internet (as far as I can tell anyway). When I
attempted to track down the source I found our cisco routers wouldn't accept
the address as valid so it was not possible to null route or trace the
traffic.

Has anyone else ever seen this before? Clue me in?
Invalid?  Really?  I used to manage a small collection of cisco routers
and I don't recall any of them complaining about such an address.

What color is the sky there?