Re: Clueless service restrictions (was RE: Anti-spam System Idea)

  • From: Michael.Dillon
  • Date: Wed Feb 18 06:07:55 2004

>   * No authentication scheme

Bang on!

> People do, however, use it because there
>currently is no realistic widely deployed alternative available. Those
>that are currently available (e.g. SPF) are not widely deployed, and
>in any case are far from perfect. Whilst we have no hammer, people will
>keep using the screwdriver to drive in nails, and who can blame them?

Another way of saying this is that every ISP who
operates an SMTP server on port 25 which is willing
to accept incoming email from unauthenticated sources
is guilty of destroying the end-to-end model of the
Internet and pushing us to a centrally controlled model
where ISPs run walled gardens.

It's that simple.

--Michael Dillon