RE: Clueless service restrictions (was RE: Anti-spam System Idea)

  • From: Tony Hain
  • Date: Tue Feb 17 20:30:12 2004

Clearly I misinterpreted your comments; sorry for reading other parts of the
thread into your intent. The bottom line is the lack of a -scalable- trust
infrastructure. You are arguing here that the technically inclined could
select from a list of partial trust options and achieve 'close enough'.
While that is true, Joe-sixpack wouldn't bother even if he could figure out
how. Whatever trust infrastructure that comes into existence for the mass
market has to appear to be seamless, even if it is technically constructed
from multiple parts.

Steve Bellovin suggested earlier that identity based approaches wouldn't
work. While I agree having the identity won't solve the problems by itself,
it does provide a key that the rest of the legal system can start to work
with. False identities are common in the real world, so their existence in
the electronic world is not really any different. I guess I am looking at
this from the opposite side the two of you appear to be, rather than
requiring authorization to send, irrefutable identity should be used to deny
receipt after proven abuse.

Tony