Re: Open, anonymous services and dealing with abuse

  • From: John Palmer
  • Date: Tue Feb 17 15:54:22 2004

I hate to see government get involved in anything, but perhaps
some law holding PC owners responsible for SPAM that comes
from their unpatched machines AS LONG AS there is ample
notification to that user that their machine is compromised.

Also, ISP's should be held responsible for allowing unpatched
machines to be connected to them and for e-mail to be propagated
from their.

Sounds like an unfunded "mandate", and it probably is, but there
is the concept of "attractive nusaince" in the law now.

Again, any law would need to be designed to allow for AMPLE
notification to the owner of the offending machine/ISP to allow
time for them to fix it. Only then would there be a requirement
that their ISP disconnect them or face fines.