Re: Open, anonymous services and dealing with abuse

  • From: Daniel Reed
  • Date: Tue Feb 17 14:05:53 2004

On 2004-02-17T11:56-0600, Mark Turpin wrote:
) On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Daniel Reed wrote:
) > And on the other hand, it is the CDC that would perform an outbreak
) > isolation, not the restaurant staff.
) I think we're both in agreement that until * starts saying "If I
) don't stop this today, it will hurt me tomorrow", that the
) cooperation required to address and stop these issues will be nil.

I am not sure it will take any major coordinated effort. For many outbreak
incidents, the CDC would respond in the U.S., other agencies would respond
elsewhere.

Coincidentally enough, CNN.com just posted an article "Your PC could be a
'spam zombie'" <http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/02/17/spam.zombies.ap/>.
The provider mentioned appears to be turning off customers [unwittingly]
involved in abuse without any major coordinated effort behind them. (And I
am sure there other examples of providers taking such action.)

--
Daniel Reed <[email protected]>	http://naim-users.org/nmlorg/	http://naim.n.ml.org/
"Murphy's Law is recursive. Washing your car to make it rain doesn't