Re: Anti-spam System Idea

  • From: Rainer Atkins
  • Date: Sun Feb 15 22:23:04 2004

I have a different idea about how spam could be dealt with, which I have yet to see proposed or discussed on Nanog. Everything suggested is always a technical patch trying to deal with the fact that spammers can make a lot of money. And, regardless of the patch you apply, they will find a way around it because the financial incentive is big enough.

It seems to me that if a spammer has a network of 10,000 trojaned broadband connected computers at his disposal to send spam, its not much use if no one wants to pay him to do this. So, instead of focusing on the spammer focus on the spamme'rs customer. Place the cost of spam mitigation on them, pass legislation that makes them liable if their product or service is advertised by spam.

This should generate some freedom of speech flames. :-)