Re: Anti-spam System Idea

  • From: Steven Champeon
  • Date: Sat Feb 14 19:20:00 2004

on Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 03:55:40PM -0800, Tim Thorpe wrote:

> If these exist then why are we still having problems?

See my reply to the thread "SMTP relaying policies for Commercial ISP
customers...?" -- we have problems because the spammers are a lot smarter
than any of us and can bounce from one infected host to another, in an
attempt to evade network-specific traps, and few ISPs do anything at all
to stop them.

> Why do we let customers who have been infected flood the networks with
> traffic as they do?

Very good question.

> Should they not also be responsible for the security of their computers? Do
> we not do enough to educate?

Yes, and no.

Book publishing is second only to furniture delivery in slowness. -b. schneier