Re: SMTP relaying policies for Commercial ISP customers...?

  • From: Leo Vegoda
  • Date: Fri Feb 13 16:40:56 2004

You wrote:

[...]

> Yes, that is a little bit stickier of an issue, IFF your goal is to
> somehow continue to provide the would-be spammer with the ability to send
> traffic to the net, provided it doesn't transit your mail server. I feel
> that you're overlooking the simple solution. Blocking the entire account
> so they can't access anything is the proper response to a spamming
> incident.

If you block the entire account then the user can't use the account
to download the updates your Abuse Team will responsibly want to
point him/her at. If you want to lose the customer then that's your
business. If you want to keep the customer, helping them fix their
mistakes is probably a painful and thankless task - but important
and useful to the whole Internet community.

Regards,

--
leo vegoda
RIPE NCC