Re: Interesting BIND error

  • From: Crist Clark
  • Date: Thu Feb 12 18:11:43 2004

Brian Bruns wrote:

On Thu, February 12, 2004 4:52 pm, Brian Wallingford said:

We've been seeing the following on all of our (9.2.1) authoritative
nameservers since approximately 10am today.  Googling has turned up
nothing;  I'm currently trying to glean some useful netflow data.  Just
wondering if this is local, or if others have suddenly seen the same.

Seems harmless enough, but the logging is eating a disproportionate amount
of cpu.

Feb 12 16:25:07 ns1 named[3150]: internal_send: 244.254.254.254#53:
Invalid argument

Its possible that someone is spoofing UDP packets to your nameserver from
that IP range (which is IANA reserved space).
That's the old Class E space. Definately not routed over the Internet.

> It looks like BIND is
refusing to send to that address, and thus the error.
Or the OS is.
--
Crist J. Clark                               [email protected]
Globalstar Communications                                (408) 933-4387