Re: Where can I find a list of IPs and their regions.

  • From: Scott Weeks
  • Date: Thu Feb 12 17:14:06 2004

Hello Everyone,

To finish up on this mini-thread, I found this:

     http://www.maxmind.com/geoip

     "MaxMind GeoIP - Obtain the Country, Region, City, Latitude, and
      Longitude of any IP address.

scott

: : I'm however pursuing this issue futher and see it as that rather then
: : developing this into one-one relationship between ip and country, it might
: : be better provide several countries where there is good possibility that
: : this ip is being used. For example if some ip block is allocated by
: : ARIN to ISP in US and there is futher subdeligation (SWIP) from there to
: : another entity in Canada - then there are two possibilities:
: :  1. ISP is providing direct dedicated connectivity to that company's
: :     office in Canada
: :  2. ISP is providing colo space or dedicated server to company from Canada
: :     but this actual server is still in US
: : Just by looking at whois data I can not reliably tell which of the above
: : is true.
:
: You're still not thinking globally.  Extend the above to cover the whole
: planet, then, for that small percentage of networks that are truly global
: the ip to country (or even continent) mapping ceases to have meaning
: unless those networks deaggregate their CIDR block and advertise them
: regionally.
:
:
: : changing reverse???), neither do ASNs have exact country correspondence as
: : in many cases same AS numbers are used by ISPs for providing connectivity
: : both for their customers in one country and in another.
:
: This is especially true in places like Europe where the countries are
: small.  The mapping really breaks down there.
:
:
: : Yet another way to use network connectivity data and not rely on what ISPs
: : tells you, might be something like GPS where test servers try to get to
: : the same ip from different locations and measure TTL of the packet
: : (response latency) - this way may help locate exact region where
: : server is based. This method would work very well if only we were all
: : on the same homogeneous network. But real structure of the net has many
: : many networks and that ISPs don't always exchange traffic in the same
: : city or region even if traffic originates and ends there and that even for
: : the same network within same ISP, packet may not necesserily take
: : "geographically shortest" path and ISP may want to reroute it more.
:
: : However if several sources are matched and they are all exact, there is
: : pretty good guess ip block is being used in that country (minor issues like
:
: I have one advertisement (roughly) and it is announced globally.  I have
: servers geographically dispersed around the globe. So what country or
: continent is my network located in???  You can't even do traceroutes or
: whatever.  Think GLOBAL...  We liked to call our network a PAN (Planetary
: Area Network)
:
:
: : would prefer to put such ip block in multiple country lists. However I'm
: : afraid that if such lists I are then made publicly available then they
: : will be used by people who want to block entire countries and they will
: : not care if there is only 50% chance ip is actually used in that country.
:
: This can work if the CIDR block is cut up into many smaller chunks and
: advertised in various regions.  Unfortunately, many large networks now do
: this table-bloating advertisement of large numbers of small subnets which
: could be easily aggregated.  So, more and more, your need to map IP block
: to country will be easier to do.
:
: scott
: