New subgroups in the IRTF ASRG

  • From: John R Levine
  • Date: Thu Feb 12 11:27:21 2004
  • Cleverness: None detected

The newly reorganizaed Anti-Spam Research Group has set up some new
subgroups to see if we can get some work done.  Our slant is sort of
applied research; it's stuff that's not ready for the standards track yet,
but isn't blue sky.

Several of the groups have a lot of operational relevance, notably abuse
reporting standards, BCP, filtering standards (eg, ways to pass around
updated filtering info in real time), and the two verify groups.

in participating, drop me a note with a sentence or two describing your
interest and I'll pass it along to the appropriate subgroup head.

The list of the subgroups is as follows
(http://asrg.sp.am/about/subgroups.shtml):
o Abuse Reporting Standards - researches standard formats and protocols
for reporting email and network abuse
Homepage: http://asrg.sp.am/subgroups/abuse_reports.shtml)

o Analysis & Characterization (A&C) - applies empirical and quantitative
methods to problems and issues surrounding spam
Homepage: http://asrg.sp.am/subgroups/analysis.shtml

o Best Current Practices (BCP) - researches and documents best practices
for spam management
Homepage: http://asrg.sp.am/subgroups/bcp.shtml

o Filtering Standards (FILTERING) - researches filtering standards for
dynamic updating and interaction with MTAs
Homepage: http://asrg.sp.am/subgroups/filtering.shtml

o Inventory of Problems - research problems with the current email
architechture that facilitate spam
http://asrg.sp.am/subgroups/problems.shtml

o Message Verification (MSG-VERIFY) - researches solutions dealing with
verification and authetication in the email messages and headers
http://asrg.sp.am/subgroups/msg_verify.shtml

o SMTP Session Verification (SMTP-VERIFY) - researches solutions dealing
with authetication and verification of the SMTP session (will encompass
the old LMAP and CRI subgroups)
http://asrg.sp.am/subgroups/smtp_verify.shtml

Regards,
John Levine, [email protected], Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY
http://www.taugh.com