Re: Where can I find a list of IPs and their regions.

  • From: Scott Weeks
  • Date: Wed Feb 11 11:55:03 2004

: I'm however pursuing this issue futher and see it as that rather then
: developing this into one-one relationship between ip and country, it might
: be better provide several countries where there is good possibility that
: this ip is being used. For example if some ip block is allocated by
: ARIN to ISP in US and there is futher subdeligation (SWIP) from there to
: another entity in Canada - then there are two possibilities:
:  1. ISP is providing direct dedicated connectivity to that company's
:     office in Canada
:  2. ISP is providing colo space or dedicated server to company from Canada
:     but this actual server is still in US
: Just by looking at whois data I can not reliably tell which of the above
: is true.

You're still not thinking globally.  Extend the above to cover the whole
planet, then, for that small percentage of networks that are truly global
the ip to country (or even continent) mapping ceases to have meaning
unless those networks deaggregate their CIDR block and advertise them
regionally.

: changing reverse???), neither do ASNs have exact country correspondence as
: in many cases same AS numbers are used by ISPs for providing connectivity
: both for their customers in one country and in another.

This is especially true in places like Europe where the countries are
small.  The mapping really breaks down there.

: Yet another way to use network connectivity data and not rely on what ISPs
: tells you, might be something like GPS where test servers try to get to
: the same ip from different locations and measure TTL of the packet
: (response latency) - this way may help locate exact region where
: server is based. This method would work very well if only we were all
: on the same homogeneous network. But real structure of the net has many
: many networks and that ISPs don't always exchange traffic in the same
: city or region even if traffic originates and ends there and that even for
: the same network within same ISP, packet may not necesserily take
: "geographically shortest" path and ISP may want to reroute it more.

: However if several sources are matched and they are all exact, there is
: pretty good guess ip block is being used in that country (minor issues like

I have one advertisement (roughly) and it is announced globally.  I have
servers geographically dispersed around the globe. So what country or
continent is my network located in???  You can't even do traceroutes or
whatever.  Think GLOBAL...  We liked to call our network a PAN (Planetary
Area Network)

: would prefer to put such ip block in multiple country lists. However I'm
: afraid that if such lists I are then made publicly available then they
: will be used by people who want to block entire countries and they will
: not care if there is only 50% chance ip is actually used in that country.

This can work if the CIDR block is cut up into many smaller chunks and
advertised in various regions.  Unfortunately, many large networks now do
this table-bloating advertisement of large numbers of small subnets which
could be easily aggregated.  So, more and more, your need to map IP block
to country will be easier to do.

scott