Re: Root^H^H^H^HGTLD Servers Request

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Tue Feb 10 15:03:54 2004

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:40:49 EST, "Stephen J. Wilcox" said:

> Is the problem with the management of the servers of the administration of the
> com/net domains?

By all accounts I've heard, the servers reliably serve up the contents of the
zones they have been given. The problem is that some people have the foolish
notion that the servers should be allowed to report the non-existence of
something, rather than returning misleading information.  I'll let others
decide whether that's "administration of the com/net domains" fault for putting
the data in the zone that created that situation, or whether it's "server
managers" fault for accepting the data as correct.

That sufficient tap-dancing? ;)

(For the record, I have *absolutely* nothing wrong with somebody offering a
service "If you got an NXDOMAIN, re-try it here and we'll do a search for you",
and software that optionally does such a retry.  I even don't mind the existence
of several such services competing. What I *do* mind is when one group uses its
monopoly on a resource to impose a "where do you want to go today?" rather than
giving me the NXDOMAIN and the choice....)