Re: [IP] VeriSign prepares to relaunch "Site Finder" -- calls

  • From: JC Dill
  • Date: Tue Feb 10 10:14:13 2004

At 08:37 PM 2/9/2004, Paul Vixie wrote:
 the response you included...

> > There's an easy way to kill sitefinder stone cold dead.
> > It would be trivial to create a bot to start walking through every
> > possible 20 letter domain name - and if ICANN held them to the rules,
> > Verisign would be rather poorer in short order.

...does not describe an operational problem, and gives a financial remedy.
It's apparent that some of today's network operation problems simply do not have an "operational" solution - but these problems are still network operational in nature even if the solution is not operational in nature.

Take spam, for example. We are mere weeks from the 10 year anniversary of Canter and Siegel's green card spam of April 1994. The network operations community has been trying to develop and implement an "operational fix" for this problem ever since; instead the problem exponentially grows worse. It has become clear that the only possible technical solution to spam will be one that replaces our present Simple Mail Transport Protocol with something else - something certainly less simple - even if it's just an end-to-end authentication protocol laid over the present SMTP.

Just as Canter and Siegel's green card spam was a novel way to (ab)use SMTP for Canter and Siegel's profit, ten years later Verisign develops Sitefinder [1] - a novel way to (ab)use DNS requests for Verisign's profit. Both are abuses because they break the existing protocol - making it less functional for those who use it the way it was designed to be used. Both require that network operators patch their systems to try to keep the abuse from negatively impacting their networks. Just as spammers keep on finding ways around the anti-spam patches, expect to see Verisign find and implement new ways around anti-Sitefinder "patches". Whack-A-Mole over DNS, here we come.

Those who do not know their history are doomed to repeat it.

I believe that there is no good "operational" way to solve either problem.

It is my opinion that we will not solve the spam problem until we do one of two things: Change the protocol so that spam is simply no longer possible, or change the financial cost of spam via legal remedies (fines and jail terms) worldwide, along with courage and resolve to enforce those remedies (worldwide). It is also my opinion that we will not solve the Sitefinder problem without resorting to a similar financial sword, as Verisign has shown no signs of caring what the operational community says about the wisdom of their breaking this key fundamental infrastructure protocol for their selfish corporate financial gain. Changing DNS worldwide so that Sitefinder is impossible would be impossibly and horribly painful - we haven't managed to change email to a secure protocol despite 10 years of abuse so what chance do we have of changing DNS?

The biggest problem with the proposed "financial" solution is that it assumes that ICANN has the courage and resolve to enforce their contract with Verisign. If ICANN was interested in firmly enforcing their contract with Verisign, they could simply yank the root database management contract from Verisign, citing the several well documented instances of Verisign failing to properly manage this public resource as a public trust and instead using it as their "owned" property. In reality, ICANN is useless and powerless because key people do not have the courage or resolve to take strong action when strong action is clearly called for.

If this isn't a call to arms to everyone in the operational community to take back control over ICANN, I don't know what is.

jc

[1] Where I use "Sitefinder", I am referring to Verisign's entire project of adding wildcard records to .com and then pointing all the NXDOMAIN domain records to the Sitefinder service.

--

p.s. Please do not cc me on replies to the list. Please reply to the list only, or to me only (as you prefer) but not to both.