Re: [IP] VeriSign prepares to relaunch "Site Finder" -- calls

  • From: Brian Bruns
  • Date: Tue Feb 10 09:37:30 2004

On Tuesday, February 10, 2004 1:02 AM [GMT-5=EST], Scott Savage
<[email protected]> wrote:

> When NXDOMAIN returned, the issue disappeared and we haven't tested it
> again.

I can confirm this same type of issue with several clients of mine that run
microsoft networking stuff, suddenly were unable to locate devices on the
network (like printers and NT file servers) as soon as the Verisign sitefinder
stuff came online.  I'll have to let my clients know who to bill when they do
this again :-)

Actually, I wrote about alot of the issues in my paper at:

http://www.sosdg.org/papers/VSGNWCD.html

Its not really geared to technical people, but might be useful if talking to
end users about the problems associated with sitefinder.  Should probably
update it with some of the newer issues I've been finding.

Unfortunately, when you talk about SiteFinder, what ends up happening is that
you can't avoid the financial end of it.  There is no technical reason why
SiteFinder needs to exist.  It is purely a financial reason why SiteFinder
exists.  If they weren't concerned about money, Verisign would be offering all
of the other registars an oppertunity to get involved too, and they wouldn't
be selling ads on the site and paid search listings.

AOL, MSN, and god knows how many other ISPs implement this internally on their
networks without affecting the rest of the world.

Of course, I already know that Verisign is going to start saying that you can
opt-out of it this time around and how it wont break everything again.  We all
know that their claims are, well, full of crap.  But, its going to end up
being how fast Verisign can spin it in their favor.  I mean, look at SCO, and
compare it to what Verisign is doing.

They both don't seem to care how the rest of the world views them, and don't
seem to have a problem turning the rest of the world against themselves.  Of
course, neither realizes that because of their actions, they will face
opposition for the rest of their existance.  People don't just forget stuff
like this.  Especially not when it happens multiple times.

Anyways, enough of my moaning about the problem for now.  If anyone has any
real life examples and stories they'd like to share with me so I can add to my
paper on the SiteFinder issue, let me know offlist, and I'll add it.

--
Brian Bruns
Open Solutions For A Closed World / Anti-Spam Resources

The Abusive Hosts Blocking List
http://www.ahbl.org