Re: Need some info on network management

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Tue Feb 10 01:58:06 2004

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, [iso-8859-1] Savitha Kumar wrote:
> them, accounting management which is one of the FCAPS
> functionality is not supported on any of the NMS's.

I think you have your networking models confused.

FCAPS is part of the ITU model for TMN-layers.  You
need to look at ITU networks, such as the telephone
network, which extensively collects accounting data.

Trying to apply ITU network models to the Internet
will just make your head hurt.

> So I thought it would make sense if I contact a
> network operations group regarding this. Can you
> please throw some light on the following -
>  1. Why is "accounting" not part of most of the NMS's?
>  2. What do service providers use for billing their
>  customers?

Because most Internet providers have a different billing
model.  In the Internet, accounting is usually part
of AAA systems not NMS systems.

Of course, on the Internet NMS systems are not the same
thing as NMS in the ITU model either.  I'm not arguing one
model is better than the other, but its a bad idea to
try to apply the wrong model to the wrong network.