Re: Root Servers Request

  • From: bill
  • Date: Mon Feb 09 20:16:20 2004

> On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Donovan Hill wrote:
>
> : This is a formal request to ICANN that they hand over the root server to a
> : not-for-profit organization. I nominate ISC for this task.
>
> And here, I had thought that most of *.ROOT-SERVERS.NET. were ISC-sponsored,
> mostly not-for-profit/academic/subsidized servers as it was.  To be sure,
> VeriSign does not control the majority of such servers.  8-)

Nope.  VSGN   - A, J
       ISI/EP - B
       Cogent - C
       UMD    - D
       NASA   - E
       ISC    - F
       DISA   - G
       USArmy - H
       Autonomica - I  (se)
       RIPE   - K  (nl)
       ICANN  - L
       WIDE   - M  (jp)

	ISC controls -one- instance.  With anycast, they have lots of
	copies of "F", but ISC does not sponser any of the other operators
	or their operations.