Network and security experts (was Re: Dumb users spread viruses)

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Mon Feb 09 12:45:15 2004

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, John Payne wrote:
> --On Sunday, February 8, 2004 10:46 PM +0000 Paul Vixie <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> > There is nothing wrong with a user who thinks they should not have to know
> > how to protect their computer from virus infections.
> However, someone attending NANOG should at least have cleaned up slammer
> before connecting to the wireless...

I have never seen any evidence that security experts or network operators
are any better at practicing security than any other user group.  In every
forum I've been at, the infection rates have been similar regardless of
the attendees security experience.

Sometimes the attendees know about the issue, but do not have the power
to fix it, e.g. corporate IT deparment controls the laptop they are
required to use.  Other times, they are oblivious to the equipment being
infected.

I wouldn't be surprised if I went to a meeting at the Department of
Homeland Security or NSA, their infection rates are similar.