Re: Dumb users spread viruses

  • From: JC Dill
  • Date: Mon Feb 09 12:30:56 2004

At 02:46 PM 2/8/2004, Paul Vixie wrote:
In this past year's tour of my friends and family, I've taken to removing
their antivirus software at the same time I remove their spyware, and I've
taken to installing Mozilla (with its IMAP client) as a way to keep the
machine from having any dependency on anti-virus software.  IT managers are
encouraged to consider a similar move next time they're asked to approve
the renewal costs of a campus-wide anti-virus license.
Do you honestly think that any IT manager is going to be successful getting an entire company to dump Outlook/Exchange and stop using anti-virus software? Do you have an example (within the North American area of interest to NANOG members) where this has actually happened?

IMHO, if you can convince an Outlook/Exchange using company to dump MS for email, you can convince them to dump MS/Windoze OSs entirely, which is a much more complete way to solve this problem.

jc

p.s. Please do not cc me on replies to the list. Please reply to the list only, or to me only (as you prefer) but not to both.