Re: question on ptr rr

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Sat Feb 07 20:49:52 2004

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Paul Vixie wrote:
> > ... What do you suggest otherwise-responsible operators like me do,
> > when after begging SBC for two years, my reverse DNS still isn't
> > delegated correctly?
>
> or send SBC a copy of RFC 2317 every hour via a crontab.  might not be
> very effective but it would sure get you talked about.  since you're a
> customer they can't accuse you of spamming them...

A Google search turned up http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/pacbell-rdns.html

But wouldn't this defeat the very behavior you are depending on to
block mail?  If every network administrator had reverse DNS for every
IP address, your check for systems lacking rDNS wouldn't work.

Or do we actually want a Fortune 1000 network.  Direct communications
are prohibited between most users.  If you are not a Fortune 1000 network,
you must forward your email through an approved provider which will check
the mail for unauthorized content.

Suppose AOL, MNN, Yahoo, etc agree to accept mail from each other and not
from other people.  This is pretty much how the world worked from
1980-1990.  CompuServe, MCIMail, The Source, Delphi, etc.