RE: Monumentous task of making a list of all DDoS Zombies.

  • From: Wayne Gustavus (nanog)
  • Date: Sat Feb 07 11:59:26 2004

Title: Message
This would essentially be impossible and not a good idea.  Large volumes of hosts/zombies involved in such attacks originate from residential cable/dsl subscribers.  This user base primarily uses dynamically assigned IP space.  Hence, the IP of tonight's attacker could be the IP of tomorrow's legitimate user.

This is the same reason that it is imperative that any complaints sent to ISPs providing such services MUST have a time stamp (with timezone) along with other information relative to the attack/abuse.  This is the only way the ISPs can relate the IP with the actual enduser in order to contact them for remediation.

Wayne Gustavus, CCIE #7426
Operations Engineering
Verizon Internet Services