Re: Cisco Router best for full BGP on a sub 5K bidget 7500 7200 or othervendor ?

  • From: sthaug
  • Date: Sat Feb 07 07:37:11 2004

> I have been looking for a sub 5K router on the used market to support
> around 30-50 megs peak traffic.
> We are looking at a pure Ethernet environment - but with the desire to
> support a lot of value added services - such as IPSEC, VoIP, traffic
> accounting. Cisco's have traditionally been good at PRI and T-1 and T-3
> type interfaces - which we don't really need -which leads me to think
> Foundry might be an option.

With a pure Ethernet environment, a 7140-2FE with 256 MB should do the
job wonderfully. I see a 7140-2FE on Ebay right now for $3000 - you'd
probably need some more memory, but under $5000 should be easily doable
(even if you want to do it legally and get an IOS license transfer from
Cisco).

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, [email protected]