RE: Stopping open proxies and open relays

  • From: Vivien M.
  • Date: Sat Feb 07 00:43:19 2004

There's a big difference between the two. If you drive your 1948 Ford
without brakes, the local law enforcement agency will make sure it's not in
your interest to repeat the mistake a second time. If you leave your
computer unsecured, well... realistically, no one is going to fine/jail/etc
you whatever the law provides for driving an unfit vehicle.

Now, if hooking up an unsecured computer to a network was punishable by a
$1000 fine, and law enforcement somehow had the staff to prosecute all
offenders (or a representative sample), I'm sure everybody would agree that
suddenly they'd be able to afford antiviruses.

Vivien
--
Vivien M.
[email protected]