Re: Are SW upgrades needed in MPLS core networks?

  • From: Rubens Kuhl Jr.
  • Date: Fri Feb 06 13:41:43 2004

> > rate
> > >
> > > we call that crappy hardware
> >
> > Based on such point of view, non-crappy hardware would be: (blank) and
> > crappy hardware would be (blank), could you fill the blanks ?
>
> As with so many other situations, the blanks can be filled in with
> "Juniper" and "Cisco", in that order.

I don't get why Juniper and Cisco trie-lookup forwarding would differ in
comparing IPv4 and IPv6; Juniper does a 8+1+1+1+1+... search until a leaf
node is found, while Cisco does 16+8+8 (or something near it but still with
3 phases); for both architetures, IPv6 longer addresses implies walking more
deeply into the tree in order to find where to route.

Just to be sure, my point here is not where the effective IPv6 performance
suits one needs or not, but wether a router that can forward <amount> Mpps
of IPv4/MPLS packets can also forward the same amount of IPv6 packets per
second.

Rubens