Re: Are SW upgrades needed in MPLS core networks?

  • From: Pekka Savola
  • Date: Fri Feb 06 05:56:14 2004

Hi,

Ok, let me summarize this off-list poll (7 answers).

Every single responder testified that upgrades are still needed.  No
news.

The type of upgrades can be separated in two: bugfixes (like bugs in
MPLS forwarding, tags, security vulnerabilities, etc.), and feature
additions.

(About) everyone also seemed to state that upgrades have been made to
get new features.  These often included e.g.:
 - to support newer hardware,
 - to make interfaces accept higher MTU (e.g., 1536 instead of 1500),
 - to support new features, like Class-of-Service + AQM
 - to facilitate changes and evolution in RSVP, LDP, etc.

As one responder stated, the true advantage is MPLS VPNs, the rest is
hype. (My note: even though the VPNs can be achieved differently at
little pain, as one other responder stated.)

The reasoning for this poll was to try to gauge the willingness of the
operators to make SW upgrades to support new features in the MPLS core
networks.

I had one feature in particular in mind, IPv6.

Based on the results it seems to be easy to conclude that about the
only reason to put IPv6 over [v4 over] MPLS on the networks (rather
than directly on top of the physical infrastructure) is due to the
other reason, because some vendors have sold crappy hardware which
does not support IPv6, or does not offer sufficiently good IPv6
performance.