Re: Latest IE patch breaking non username:[email protected] websites?

  • From: Alexei Roudnev
  • Date: Tue Feb 03 23:57:11 2004

I rather treat this patch as a _bug_. user:[email protected] format is  used (I
have 3 or 4 instances in monitoring system, to allow automatic proxy
onto the system with 'guest' user name, for example). To block scam, it was
sufficient to restrict username length, or to set up a checkbox in explorer
setting.

The whole idea is wrong - instead of fixing IE (just show REAL host name,
for example), MS decided to drop functionality. We (in our company) adviced
people _against_ this patch. It broke legitimate addresses, and fix a very
rare and exotic problem... which can be fixed by many other ways.