Re: AOL web troubles.. New AOL speedup seems to be a slowdown

  • From: Stephen J. Wilcox
  • Date: Sat Jan 31 13:36:25 2004

I wouldnt have thought what happens at Layer7/8 (ie the production, copyright
and distribution of the image) is related to whats going on at Layer4/5 (http)
in this context.

I recall this caching argument from a while back, but I dont think the subject
of altering the data was in the discussion, it was around the legality of making
and storing copies of copyrighted material without explicit consent.

As I think the caching debate was settled without incident I think people
publishing copyrighted material are happy with the situation, your suggestion
that they can add in no-cache is probably not something they want to do (nor
would ISPs want that in view of the performance effect it would have on their
cache hit rate)

Steve