Re: CIsco 7206VXR w/NPE-G1 Question

  • From: David Luyer
  • Date: Fri Jan 30 22:05:08 2004

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 03:29:41PM -0200, Rubens Kuhl Jr. wrote:
> >   *  The 7206VXR prior to the NPE-G1 could only do around 560Mbps
> >      per bus typically, due to PCI limitations.
>
> Which usually was not a problem with i-mix traffic or ddos-traffic, because
> pps limitation would hit sooner.
>
> >   *  Compiled ACLs on 12.2S perform very well on NPE-G1s.
>
> I saw no mention of PXF on NPE-G1; it seemed the path 7200 would take after
> NSE-1. What happened ?

PXF is found in the 7400 (old) and 7300 (newer) series.

The 7400 was extremely unstable until very recently (with 12.2(14)S5 it is
quite stable, as long as you have the hardware with the fixed L3 cache or
have the L3 cache disabled), which is perhaps why PXF was not pushed so
heavily after that experience.

I have not used a 7300.  If you want to look at what features they are
pushing into PXF on them, look at the 12.2(20)S release notes.  After the
pain of being an early adopter of the 7400 I'm staying well away from
the 7300 until I see others using them without stability issues.

7400 is closely related to the NPE400 (actually NSE-1), 7300 is closely
related to the NPE-G1.

David.