Re: CIsco 7206VXR w/NPE-G1 Question

  • From: Rubens Kuhl Jr.
  • Date: Fri Jan 30 21:06:17 2004

> No.  While I was at my former employer, we took our edge
> ACL into the Juniper POC lab, and verified that an M40
> stuffed full of OC48 linecards could sustain just over
> 85% of line rate with our edge ACL applied before sustaining
> packet loss; the POC lab engineers double checked and
> verified that there was nothing wrong with the test, that
> was simply the most the IPII processors could handle with
> that particularly hairy ACL.

Was that in the limits of the FPC ? It seems it does, just checking out.
Was this a test with smallest possible packets ? Do you remember aggregate
pps being routed ? It seems you could hit some of the real IP2 pps limits
with ACLs, which is definitively not 40 Mpps. In one test I saw it hitted
top at 12.5 Mpps, but it may be due to hitting FPC limits. Other people
tests showed something in the 20-25 Mpps range.

Rubens