Fw: Impending (mydoom) DOS attack

  • From: james
  • Date: Fri Jan 30 20:08:42 2004

OK, enough ppl are asking so I will post this public, instead
of just sending this to those who asked.
Since I do not understand assembly or FORTH I cannot
verify what this guy on the full disclosure list said & so far
no one on the list is commenting on this persons post.

So I make NO claims about this.

James Edwards
Routing and Security Administrator
[email protected]
At the Santa Fe Office: Internet at Cyber Mesa
Store hours: 9-6 Monday through Friday
505-988-9200 SIP:1(747)669-1965

This is from the full disclosure list:

: :
: : Here's why people have been getting inconsistent results when setting
: : the system date forward and looking for the DoS attack to start:
: :
: : Begining of DDoS date check subroutine:
: :
: : 4A3DB0 PUSH EBP                                 ;  callCreateSCOddos
: : 4A3DB1 MOV EBP,ESP
: : 4A3DB3 SUB ESP,10
: :
: :
: : Get the current system time as a FILETIME struct:
: :
: : 4A3DB6 LEA EAX,DWORD PTR SS:[EBP-8]
: : 4A3DB9 PUSH EAX
: : 4A3DBA CALL DWORD PTR DS:[<&KERNEL32.GetSystemTimeAsFileTime>]
: :
: :
: : Convert the stored DoS start date from SystemTime to FileTime:
: :
: : 4A3DC0 LEA EAX,DWORD PTR SS:[EBP-10]
: : 4A3DC3 PUSH EAX
: : 4A3DC4 MOV EAX,DWORD PTR SS:[EBP+8]
: : 4A3DC7 ADD EAX,214
: : 4A3DCC PUSH EAX                                  ; Feb 1, 2004
: : 4A3DCD CALL DWORD PTR DS:[<&KERNEL32.SystemTimeToFileTime>]
: :
: :
: : Compare high-order dword dwHighDateTime:
: :
: : 4A3DD3 MOV EAX,DWORD PTR SS:[EBP-4]
: : 4A3DD6 CMP EAX,DWORD PTR SS:[EBP-C]
: : 4A3DD9 JB SHORT <message.skipDoS>
: :
: :
: : Compare low-order dword wLowDateTime:
: :
: : 4A3DDB MOV EAX,DWORD PTR SS:[EBP-8]
: : 4A3DDE CMP EAX,DWORD PTR SS:[EBP-10]
: : 4A3DE1 JB SHORT <message.skipDoS>
: :
: :
: : Start the DoS:
: :
: : 4A3DE3 CALL <message.createSCOddos>             ; DoS_Loop
: : 4A3DE8 PUSH 400
: : 4A3DED CALL DWORD PTR DS:[<&KERNEL32.Sleep>]
: : 4A3DF3 JMP SHORT <message.DoS_Loop>
: : 4A3DF5 LEAVE                                    ; skipDos
: : 4A3DF6 RETN
: :
: : >From MSDN:
: : The FILETIME structure is a 64-bit value representing the number of
: : 100-nanosecond intervals since January 1, 1601 (UTC).
: :
: : typedef struct _FILETIME {
: :   DWORD dwLowDateTime;
: :   DWORD dwHighDateTime;
: : } FILETIME,
: : *PFILETIME;
: :
: : The stored starttime as filetime is:
: : 0xbe9ecb00
: : 0x01c3e8dd
: :
: : Because the dwords are compared independently, the DoS will not start
: : anytime the current dwLowDateTime is less than 0xbe9ecb00, no matter
: : what the dwHighDateTime is. Obviously, this is close to three-quarters
: : of the time.
: :
: : -Joe
: :