RE: CIsco 7206VXR w/NPE-G1 Question

  • From: Michel Py
  • Date: Fri Jan 30 03:27:59 2004

> Richard J. Sears wrote:
> I am looking at upgrading my current 7507 backbone routers.
> Each of my routers has dual RSP4s

Keep in mind that dual RSP does _not_ mean load sharing; it's for
redundancy, if you can get RPR+ to work the way you want that is.

> and I was thinking of upgrading them to RSP8s when I
> started reading about the new 7206VXRs with the NPE-G1 engine.
> I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this
> router/engine combination, how well they perform in comparison
> to the RSP8s and actual total traffic capabilities when
> utilizing all three gig ports with a mixture of OC3, Gig and
> DS3 connections as well.

In my experience, no 7507 is capable of this, nor a 7206VXR. As pointed
out not too long ago, the RSP8 although intrinsically slower than a
NPE-G1 will take more load because a lot of processing can be done by
the VIPs in the 7507. The deal is that in a 7200 the NPE does the work
of the RSP _plus_ the work of three VIPs; even if it's faster, it might
not be that fast.

That being said, I don't consider reasonable to get gig+ traffic trough
a 7507; in my experience a 7500 will push 500mbps of traffic but will
have trouble swallowing a full gig. My limited experience with the 7206
says that it might eventually be able to push _one_ gig from one PA to
another, but not aggregate: say you have 4 or 5 OC3s aggregating into a
GigE with some ACLs (which would run distributed on a 7500) I don't
think that even the NPE-G1 is up to the task.

IMHO, if you stay well below a gig, these el-cheapo eBay RSP8 deals are
a valid solution but if you go over, GSR or Juniper is your answer. The
7200 has never been a core nor backbone router.

Michel.