Re: Misplaced flamewar... WAS: RE: in case nobody else noticed it, there was a mail worm released today

  • From: Alexei Roudnev
  • Date: Fri Jan 30 01:23:07 2004

If I install code, I'd like to know, when installation is trying to make
_administrative_ change, explicitly - so that I have a chance to say YES or
NO. In Windows, it is not implemented in installations - you _must_ begin
installation as admin.

Another big problem is permission system and directory structure. First of
all, you are blind - no any analog of 'ls -l' which shows you

  file owner permissions

so if someone change you WinNT directory to 'Writable by anyone_, you never
notice it. Security system is toooo complicated for use by normal users;
it's rich but require GURU to be configured.

Second problem is directory structure. In Unix, when I configure IDS (osiris
or Tripwire or Intact), I can just be sure, that 'bin' and 'etc' and 'sbin'
and 'libexec' directories does not have any variable files - all non-static
files are in /var (Solaris is an exception, they put some 'pid files into
.etc, but even here, it is not a problem). But windose... you have not any
directory which never changed, and I find few .dll files, changed every few
days. Every application puts log  and data files into it's own directory
(with rare exception of applications, derived from Unix or written by people
with Unix background). It makes terrible difficult to configure IDS, and
makes system very vulnerable.

Of course, it is all trade-off for functionality, but people overestimates
it - many MS benefits come from it's dominance , not from functionality.

And it all makes it a very good target for the viruses / worms.

Alex Roudnev
==========

> [email protected] wrote:
> But, regardless, Win2K and WinXP do have restricted-user
> modes that tie this stuff down quite well.  They tend to
> be used in corporate environments.

Indeed, and the one reason being that the last thing the IT staff wants
is users installing apps, because even if the user is not installing a
worm or Trojan, installing software inevitably generates
incompatibilities and demand for more support.

> But for home users, it gets to be a pain in the butt,
> because it prevents a lot of things users want to do,
> like installing games, multimedia apps and spyware.

Yep. In XP home, it's easy to have several users on the same machine but
by default they all have administrative rights.

> [email protected] wrote:
> Microsoft software is inherently less safe than
> Linux/*BSD software.
> This is because Microsoft has favored usability
> over security.
> This is because the market has responded better
> to that tradeoff.
> This is because your mom doesn't want to have to
> hire a technical consultant to manage her IT
> infrastructure when all she wants to do is get
> email pictures of her grandkids.

Exactly.

Michel.