Re: Verizon mail troubles

  • From: Brian Wallingford
  • Date: Wed Jan 28 23:41:03 2004

:But they've never had a sonet outage once in our entire time of doing
:business with them. So they do employ competent people. Plenty of them.
:But they aren't concerned with IP or SMTP.

Absolutely.  Without delving into regulatory details, prior to the
initiation of VADI (possibly the most egregious misnomer in history) and
again now since VADI has been decomissioned, we're quite happy with their
competence at layers 1 & 2.

There's no question that there's a certain amount of social engineering
involved in contacting (or being allowed to contact) competent folk.  It's
advisable to be sure that any staff who will be contacting them are fully versed in
any services they will be discussing.  The clueful staff at VZ are much
more receptive and accessible when they know in advance that they can
expect to pick up a likewise-clued individual.

cheers,
brian