RE: Cisco 7600

  • From: David Luyer
  • Date: Tue Jan 27 03:50:51 2004

Christopher Wolff wrote:
> Several weeks ago there was a lively debate on Nanog regarding cisco
> performance, if I recall correctly, one party indicated that they upgraded
> from a 7206 NPE400 to a GSR and only saw a 30% improvement in CPU
> utilization.  That's a lot of bling bling for 30%...

Especially as you can more than double the performance of a NPE400 to a
NPE-G1 for far less.  If you have CPU-intensive needs, there are many cases
where a NPE-G1 is a better answer than a 6500, 7600 or GSR.

OTOH if you're "just" moving packets, the "high-end" stuff is much more
likely to be your answer.

As a point of interest, AARNet have chosen Procket routers for AARNet3.
Would be interesting to know what the decision factors were, price or
performance -- is a T640 just too slow? ;-)

David.