Re: Any 1U - 2U Ethernet switches that can handle 4K VLANs?

  • From: Alexei Roudnev
  • Date: Mon Jan 26 12:21:58 2004

> > PS. How much ethernet ports do you have in the office? Do you have 100 K
> > ports? If not, why do you need 128K MAC's? (I know only one case, when I
> > need so much - some kind of DSL service...
>
> I guess you're not into metro networking.
This is one of my exceptions - you really need 128K MAC's for meto network.

And, for metro network, it may be reasonable to spend time in QA'ing and
configuration and select non-cisco solution - because it is a very big
project. But it is exceptional case.

> > PPS. I do not know for sure, but 3550 should support traffic shaping,
which
> > makes bufferring. Technically, yes, CEF (with packet dropping) is not
good
> > to provide 2 Mbit by 100 Mbit link.
>
> The 3550 doesnt support shaping of any kind, only policing (dropping
> packets, never buffer them). How can you advocate a switch which you seem
> to know so little about?
I just never tried to configure 'traffic-shape' on it, so I do not know. It
is great switch for it's  niche. Metro LAN's is not standard switch niche,
it is very special network. As I said above, non-cisco solution can paid off
for this.