Re: Any 1U - 2U Ethernet switches that can handle 4K VLANs?

  • From: Alexei Roudnev
  • Date: Mon Jan 26 03:53:07 2004

3550 runs IOS. That's an answer. I never allow any non-IOS router in
production environment (except high end devices, such as Juniper, when
benefits are very high). And 3550 is not expansive (yes, it is not cheap).

PS. How much ethernet ports do you have in the office? Do you have 100 K
ports? If not, why do you need 128K MAC's? (I know only one case, when I
need so much - some kind of DSL service...

In most cases, you have 500 - 5,000 ports in one building. If you have more,
it is unlikely that you use 3550 switches. So, it is enough for the tasks
(just as performance - it have _enough_ performance). Btw, I believed that
catalist swithes have not any limitations for the MAC tables (because they
use memory _on demand_); where did you get this limitations? /I may be wrong
here/

PPS. I do not know for sure, but 3550 should support traffic shaping, which
makes bufferring. Technically, yes, CEF (with packet dropping) is not good
to provide 2 Mbit by 100 Mbit link.