Re: Any 1U - 2U Ethernet switches that can handle 4K VLANs?

  • From: Alexei Roudnev
  • Date: Mon Jan 26 00:05:48 2004

Hmm; if they need to run 2000 VLAN's, they do not need L3 routing in every
box...

Of course, if they want L3 routing on every box (I do not like such idea,
but it's possible), then 3550 (or what do they have now?) is the best
choice.

But I am very suspicious about such design... in 99% cases, 4,000 VLAn,s and
100 24-port switches means _bad network / solution schema_.

If use other (non Cisco) switches - it may be very good choice in getting
low price, but it requires long and careful testing. My experience is
strictly asgainst non-cisco devices in such areas, as - VoIP, IP routing, L2
/ L3  switches/routers (and almost the same in switches).