Re: Any 1U - 2U Ethernet switches that can handle 4K VLANs?

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Sun Jan 25 15:41:18 2004

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> My experience with extremes as l3 boxes is neither recent nor pleasant,
> but that's not how we use them anyway.

This is interesting, what problems did you run into?

We have an extensive Extreme networks used both for L2 and L3, and apart
from the fact that it always cpu routes ICMP, I see no major flaw in the
L3 forwarding function (for access/distribution) for all normal purposes.

My few experiences with the Cisco 3550 as L3 routers has been much worse,
even with claimed CEF capability I have seen it melt and die where the
equivalent Extreme box didnt experience the same problems (of course there
are cases where it's the other way around). Overall I have more confidence
in the Extreme access boxes for L3 than Ciscos equivlanent, and they
definately kick ciscos ass when it comes to L2 (mac address table size and
number of vlans for instance).

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]