Re: Any 1U - 2U Ethernet switches that can handle 4K VLANs?

  • From: Alexei Roudnev
  • Date: Sun Jan 25 15:20:35 2004

1) Use Cisco 2924 or 3524
2) Redesign your network to fit into 1024 VLANs
3) Do not spend time with junk (non Cisco, for the switches).

U1 switch have only 24 - 48 ports, so you never need to handle 2000 VLAN's
on it. And I suspect, that the whole design is wrong.
Do not build custom configuration (4000 VLANs), build standard configuration
(20 - 40 VLANs) /except - if you want to became a QA for the whole vendor/.

Did you paid attention to the private VLANs, dynamic VLANs,  port
authentication protocols, etc etc? In 99% cases, you can stay with 10
private VLANs instead of 4,000 static VLAN's.