Re: Outbound Route Optimization

  • From: Tom (UnitedLayer)
  • Date: Wed Jan 21 19:00:20 2004

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> I don't know if they're doing the same thing in Cali or not (they probably
> are, since all the radio stations are owned by the same 2 companies),

Yeah, NPR and CBS, both monopolistic empires with the same viewpoint :)

> but here in NoVA land there is currently a massive radio ad campaign for
> a Rocky Mountain Radar radar-jamming product called the Phazer, which
> claims to jam police radar (legally, because it doesn't actually put out
> any RF, it is entirely passive) "or they'll pay for your ticket".

I've heard of this, and I believe I know some people who've invested. They
wanted to diverisfy from the IP Transit biz, and go into 100% pure sales
and marketing. I believe the quote was "man, its hard to sell hosting off
of an OC768 with my 2600 powered network, I'm going to greener pastures"

> Then I recall the quote from the inventor, "I could ship an empty black
> box with a weight in the bottom and only get 22-24 percent back."

I've heard that before, but it sounds so much better in russian.

> Oh well, at least web hosting is still worse (ever notice that EVERY
> hoster has an OC192 backbone, even the ones with 2 machines and a 10Mbps
> hub?). :P

Yeah, the market for OC192 -> 10Mbps Ethernet is really booming!
Those puppies fly off the shelves like fleeing rats.